Wall and Dramatic Trees Millport
gouache and charcoal
38 x 56.5 cms
Having taught part-time at Edinburgh College of Art from 1953-5, the artist was awarded an Andrew Grant Fellowship from the college. (Grant had given money towards the building of the then new College in 1907 and his subsequent generous bequest in the 1930s, still benefits post-graduate Edinburgh students today) The Fellowship allowed promising developing artists to spend a further period concentrating on painting and in 1955 the artist (with his with and his 9 month old son Robin, spent a cold winter in Millport on the island of Great Cumbrae in the Firth of Clyde.